After reading this article, I thought to myself The Clinic at the Cannery in Clarke Quay has some serious competition from Down Under … then slowly the next thought filtered into my head … only in Australia can these things happen 😉
Doctors save man with vodka drip
Australian doctors have kept an Italian tourist alive by feeding him vodka through a drip for three days, medical staff in Queensland say. The 24-year-old man, who had swallowed a poison in an apparent suicide attempt, was treated while in a coma.
Doctors set up the drip after running out of medicinal alcohol, used as an antidote to the poison.
Medical staff said the patient had made a full recovery, and the hangover had worn off by the time he woke up.
He had been taken to hospital in the northern Queensland town of Mackay after swallowing ethylene glycol – a poison contained in anti-freeze.
“The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit,” Dr Todd Fraser said in a statement.
“Fortunately for him he was in a medically induced coma for a good portion of that. By the time he woke up I think his hangover would have well and truly gone.”
He spent 20 days in hospital before being discharged.
Published: 2007/10/10 11:24:06 GMT
© BBC MMVII